Edam, famous for its cheese! Shipbuilding, herring fishery and cheese trade brought great prosperity to Edam around 1230. From the 16th century, the cheese trade dominated the economy in Edam.
From 1989, locals took it upon themselves to re-enact the cheese markets of old for tourists: Every Wednesday in July and August from 10.30-12.30 hrs.
Edam is a very pretty little town with a great many listed monuments. On Damplein (square) you’ll find the stately town hall in the style of Louis XIV housing the town museum and tourist information office.
Discover "Edam" here:
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer without Afsluitdijk [7-99]
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer, incl Amsterdam without Afsluitdijk [8-001]
- Around the Markermeer [5-00]
- IJsselmeer Tour without Afsluitdijk [8-00]
- Southern Lake IJssel Tour [7-04]
- Classic Lake IJssel Tour [8-04]
- IJsselmeer Tour with Afsluitdijk [9-01]
- IJsselmeer Grand Tour [10-00]
- Cycling with Children: Back in Time [8-15]
- Around Lake Markermeer [7-09]
- Unesco Tour [9-03]