Elburg

Elburg

The old fortified town Elburg is beautifully situated on the Zuiderzee. The town is rich in historical heritage.

From 1392 to 1396, the houses of Elburg were moved from their old location, often ravaged by storm floods, to their new location in a newly designed grid street plan and protected by town walls, moats and defensive towers. The town harbours all kinds of surprises for today’s visiting tourist: a house incorporated into a defensive wall, the country’s oldest ropewalk and a quiet convent garden. Nowadays the convent building, St. Agnietenklooster, houses the town museum (no English information as yet). Also on the complex is a two-storey chapel: upstairs was for the nuns, downstairs for the laymen. Other sights include the synagogue, 15th-century St. Nicolas’ Church and Vischpoort (former defensive tower and town gate – now a Fishery Museum).