Enkhuizen is a town oozing history. There are 350 monuments across the historical centre. The tourist information office can help you with scenic walking routes to tour the town.
Enkhuizen has two water gates: Boerenboom and Oude Gouwsboom. Water gates are openings in a defensive town wall, where boats could go in and out on a waterway. The canal could be shut off with bulkhead gates coming down from the interior to keep out the enemy. A definite must-see in Enkhuizen is the Zuiderzee Museum. In the open-air part of the museum you’ll find a nice collection of typical and original architecture from the shores of the Zuiderzee. In the museum proper, various collections, from historical boats to costumes, as well as an overview of all the shipping routes and influences from abroad, complete the picture of Zuiderzee culture pre-1932. Just recently, post-1932 exhibits have been taken on board.
Do you Want to know how all these monuments and sites can be combined the best? You can stop by the Tourist Office for some nice hiking trails that lead you through the monuments.
Discover "Enkhuizen" here:
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer without Afsluitdijk [7-99]
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer, incl Amsterdam without Afsluitdijk [8-001]
- Northern Lake IJssel Tour [6-00]
- Around the Markermeer [5-00]
- IJsselmeer Tour without Afsluitdijk [8-00]
- Southern Lake IJssel Tour [7-04]
- IJsselmeer Grand Tour [10-00]
- Cycling with Children: Back in Time [8-15]
- Around Lake Markermeer [7-09]
- Unesco Tour [9-03]