Lemmer

Lemmer

Lemmer was once surrounded by forts and castles. Today the village is mainly a paradise for water sports enthusiasts. Lemmer is also called the Gate of Friesland.

Lemmer was surrounded by natural waterways that emptied into Zuiderzee. It served as a transfer harbour between inland shipping and Zuiderzee shipping. The menfolk of Lemmer made a living building ships in shipyards, or in associated trades making masts, wood block pulleys, sails, ropes etc. Fishery didn’t become important till mid-19th century. Today, Lemmer attracts yachters. Many of the tourists visiting Lemmer in summer will arrive by boat through the Lemmer locks built in 1888. The old and new locks connect lJsselmeer to a lake district known as Friese Meren.  The lighthouse standing at the entrance to the harbour has an interesting open steel construction. Lemmer’s greatest tourist attraction is a functioning steam-driven pumping station, the largest of its kind in Europe: ir.D.F. Woudagemaal (1920). It is still used to keep water levels in the low-lying land at the desired mark. It is listed as World Heritage (Unesco). The old town hall is a neo-classical building dating back to 1898. It houses the tourist information office. At ‘Lemster Fiifgea’ period rooms, exhibits include carved pottery from a former local ceramics factory; and objects pertaining to Zuiderzee fishery and shipping, peat harvesting and daily life in Lemmer in days of old.