Stavoren is the oldest of the eleven towns in Friesland province. It was founded around the year 900 on the shores of a waterway and received town rights from Holy Roman Emperor Henry V in 1118.
Although Stavoren is the oldest city of Friesland, there is not much left of its former glory caused by floods, wars and economic deterioration. This is opposite to other Zuiderzee cities like Hoorn and Enkhuizen. Yet you still find a lot of the Zuiderzee atmosphere in and around the old harbour where the fishing ships and the brown fleet are moored. In the museum ‘ ‘t Ponthús’ the fabulous past of Stavoren is brought back to life (opening times from 1 PM to 5 PM).
Discover "Stavoren" here:
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer without Afsluitdijk [7-99]
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer, incl Amsterdam without Afsluitdijk [8-001]
- Northern Lake IJssel Tour [6-00]
- IJsselmeer Tour without Afsluitdijk [8-00]
- Around the IJsselmeer with Afsluitdijk [7-05]
- Classic Lake IJssel Tour [8-04]
- IJsselmeer Tour with Afsluitdijk [9-01]
- IJsselmeer Grand Tour [10-00]
- Unesco Tour [9-03]