Volendam is a fishing village where the authentic atmosphere has been preserved nicely.
In the second half of the 19th century, artists came to Volendam to be inspired by this characteristic village with its inhabitants in traditional costumes. Due to this, tourists became more and more interested. During the years, Volendam has changed, but the inhabitants still distinguish themselves from the rest of the country: they speak in a distinctive dialect and many of them remained Catholic in this predominantly Protestant surrounding. The traditional costumes have mainly disappeared but following several celebrities, many tourist have themselves photographed in Volendam costume.
Discover "Volendam" here:
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer without Afsluitdijk [7-99]
- IJsselmeer, Around the IJsselmeer, incl Amsterdam without Afsluitdijk [8-001]
- Around the Markermeer [5-00]
- IJsselmeer Tour without Afsluitdijk [8-00]
- Southern Lake IJssel Tour [7-04]
- IJsselmeer Tour with Afsluitdijk [9-01]
- Cycling with Children: Back in Time [8-15]
- Around Lake Markermeer [7-09]
- Unesco Tour [9-03]